Director of External Reporting & Technical Accounting
Centessa Pharmaceuticals plc is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company with a Research & Development (“R&D”) innovation engine that aims to discover, develop, and ultimately deliver impactful medicines to patients. Our programs span discovery-stage to late-stage development and cover a range of high-value indications in rare diseases and immuno-oncology. We are led by a management team with extensive R&D experience from leading biotech and pharmaceutical companies. We are focused on rapidly advancing our product candidates from research through all stages of development leveraging our differentiated R&D model. This model is designed to harness the key strengths of a traditional R&D organization and the core tenets of an asset-centric venture capital model to optimize deployment of funds for discovery and development.
We are seeking a Director of External Reporting & Technical Accounting. The Director External Reporting & Technical Accounting will be primarily responsible for the company’s financial statements, presentation, preparation, and review of the company’s SEC filings (i.e., Form 10-K, Form 10Q, Form 8-K, and Proxy Statement). This role will be responsible for managing the financial reporting system and maintaining effective internal controls over financial reporting. The position will support the development, issuance and maintenance of company-wide accounting policies, apply technical accounting guidelines, and perform accounting research, including the assessment and implementation of new accounting standards and the evaluation of the accounting for non-standard transactions. The position will manage share based compensation and equity accounting.
This role requires building strong relationships within the Accounting function, across other functional areas and with Centessa companies (i.e., Corporate FP&A, Clinical Operations, R&D Project Management, Legal, Investor Relations) in the Company to ensure reporting requirements are satisfied. The responsibilities of this position will be hands-on and will continue to evolve as the company designs and integrates through a center of excellence model and the implementation of systems and processes across the organization. This position reports to the Vice President, Controller.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain the SEC reporting calendar and coordinate filing review process with key stakeholders, including the Executive management, legal, and the external auditors.
- Will lead the preparation of Forms 10Q and Form 10K, adhering to strict timelines, including drafting financial statement footnotes and MD&A, and preparing and maintaining records of supporting documentation.
- Prepare and maintain supporting documentation for all areas of external reporting, including preparation of schedules to support footnote and MD&A disclosures, cash flow statement and statement of stockholders’ equity, and EPS.
- Assist with Sarbanes-Oxley related activities including identification and implementation of strong internal control processes surrounding financial reporting.
- Independently analyze and evaluate accounting issues and financial transactions for compliance with applicable accounting rules and SEC regulations and assist with the implementation of new accounting pronouncements and interpretations thereof.
- Critically focus on continuous process improvement initiatives that enhance the efficiency, accuracy and timeliness of financial reporting, including development of Centessa companies’ reporting requirements.
- Proactively and frequently interact with accounting team members to understand financial transactions impacting financial reporting disclosures.
- Proactively interact with the Executive management, Investor Relations, Legal, FP&A, and Tax team members to evaluate information pertinent to disclosure in SEC filings.
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial standards, internal controls and SOX across the global organization, including coordination with external auditors.
- Prepare the XBRL tagging of consolidated financial statements and footnotes.
- Complete US GAAP and SEC disclosure checklists.
- Prepare and review other periodic SEC documents, including, but not limited to Forms 8-K and Proxy Statement.
- Coordinate with Investor Relations to review earnings releases, earnings scripts, and investor presentations, as applicable.
- Demonstrate flexibility in schedule to meet periodic financial closing and reporting deadlines.
- Drive the creation of or update to standard operating procedures around external reporting processes.
- Monitor and analyze changes to accounting policy (e.g., US GAAP) and SEC issues / interpretations. Summarize the impact of relevant changes to the organization’s accounting and financial reporting. Provide guidance and advice to other departments in response to questions or problems relating to accounting treatment of certain issues, as necessary.
- Effectively communicate the impact of pending guidance through memos and presentations to the team.
- Manage and develop and oversee the work product of direct reports to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Perform additional accounting and reporting duties as requested
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting – required
- Certified Public Accountant - required
- 10+ years of combined Big 4 public accounting and biotech/pharma industry experience, including at least 5 years in industry preparing SEC filings for a public company.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience required including demonstrated ability to motivate, develop and drive team performance.
- Familiar with general ledger reporting / systems (e.g. Net Suite, Oracle and/or SAP)
- Familiar with consolidation reporting systems (e.g. Hyperion, etc.) including consolidation of multi-currency operations
- Hands on experience drafting financial statement footnote disclosures and MD&A, as well as preparing and maintaining detailed supporting schedules.
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Hands on experience with research, analysis, and resolving accounting related issues and problems.
- Familiar with SEC reporting tools.
- Hands on experience with detail XBRL tagging - required.
- Management of share based compensation and equity accounting.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to efficiently provide high-quality work and multi-task.
- Unquestionable integrity and judgement.
- Accountable and able to work independently as well as part of a team and in a management capacity to meet strict timelines.
- Self-starter with ability to work in a fast-paced environment under challenging deadlines.
- Collaborative in nature, excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to gather, organize, analyze, and report large volumes of financial data with speed and accuracy.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word.
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
Centessa Pharmaceuticals believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Centessa Pharmaceuticals will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.